24 June 2009

Playlist Wednesday: Grammar Police



Song lyrics do not have to be written using perfect English. It's all about artistic liberties, I know this. That doesn't mean I don't cringe when I see song lyrics written out. I have nothing against these songs or their writers. I would simply like to call attention to a few things.

Chasing Cars:
"If I lay here, If I just lay here, Will you lie with me and just forget the world?" The problem is the verb. "Lay" takes a direct object. The correct way to write this would be "If I lie here, If I just lie here, Will you lie with me and just forget the world?"

Satisfaction:
Yes, it's a classic. However, being dubbed a classic doesn't change the fact that it contains a double negative. "I can't get no satisfaction." Really? Because if you can't get no satisfaction, that actually means you can get some satisfaction. That doesn't make for a good song though, does it?

Mageetah:
Mageetah? What is that? Those of us who speak English would say "My Guitar." I love you, My Morning Jacket, but don't make up words.

C'mon Girl:
Would it kill the Chili Peppers to write out the words 'Come On' Would it? It's just two extra letters.

Bubble Pop Electric:
"I’m restless, can’t you see I try my bestest.” Gwen, you are so talented, but "bestest" is not a word. It's not.


MusicPlaylist
MySpace Playlist at MixPod.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails