01 June 2009

You Are What You Eat


This fascinates me.

Photographer Mark Menjivar took a series of portraits of the interiors of peoples' refrigerators. You might think, "That's lame, I could do that." You didn't though, and with art, it's the reasoning behind the piece that matters. Mark explains his thought process on his site:

"For three years I traveled around the country exploring the issue of hunger. The more time I spent speaking and listening to individual stories, the more I began to think about the foods we consume and the effects they have on us as individuals and communities. An intense curiosity and questions about stewardship led me to begin to make these unconventional portraits.

A refrigerator is both a private and a shared space. One person likened the question, "May I photograph the interior of your fridge?" to asking someone to pose nude for the camera. Each fridge is photographed "as is." Nothing added, nothing taken away.

My hope is that we will think deeply about how we care. How we care for our bodies. How we care for others. And how we care for the land. "

Who knew you could learn so much about an individual from the contents of their fridge? Check out all the photos here on his site. The short order cook from Texas with a rattlesnake in her freezer scares me.

2 comments:

Tragic Schmagic said...

Dude, it's crazy to see the lifestyles people lead in conjunction with they're food intake. I looked in my fridge to see if it was healthy or gross. It's a little mix of both.

Healthy - Apples, oranges, bread, milk, V8, eggs, ham, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes.

Gross - Red Bull, excessive amounts of leftover beans, leftovers from weeks ago, pickle juice (My Mom drinks for fun!).

What's in your fridge?! I wanna know!

Amanda said...

I'll try & remember to take a picture tonight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails