30 September 2009

Playlist Wednesday: It's History



My dad is a history buff. The Civil War, Ancient Babylon, The Dark Ages- he lives for that type of stuff. While I find history interesting, I don't really retain the information like he does. I still love learning about it, and that's why I get excited when I find out a song I like was inspired by an actual historical event. That's right people, musicians don't just write songs about love and romance, sometimes they're brainy. I found a few songs that you may be familiar with, but I'm hoping I can shine a little light on their meaning:

Holland, 1945- Neutral Milk Hotel
Inspired by the story of Anne Frank. Who, we all know, hid from the Germans during World War II.

Sunday Bloody Sunday- U2
Based on Sunday, January 30, 1972. When British paratroopers killed thirteen Irish citizens at a civil rights protest in Northern Ireland.

The Big Three Killed My Baby- The White Stripes
Not quite as dramatic as the last two, but it's the automaker Preston Tucker, who was run out of business by the auto industry's "Big Three" (General Motors, Chrysler, and Ford).

Scarborough Fair / Canticle - Simon & Garfunkel
Scarborough Fair was a popular gathering in Medieval times that attracting traders and entertainers from all over the country and lasted 45 days.

Don't Drink the Water- DMB
Inspired by the European slaughter of Native Americans, when the colonization of North America nearly wiped out the Native Americans


Does everyone feel just a little smarter now? Who says you can't learn anything worthwhile on the Internet.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails