20 October 2009

The Land of Rabbits?


Let's try something different today.  Instead of taking nonsense how about we learn something? My dad sent me an email with all sorts of Geography fun facts. Yes, my family thinks Geography is fun. After some verifying, to make sure these were actually facts, I thought I'd share some with you. Now you can't say I never taught you anything.
  • St. Paul, Minnesota was originally called Pig's Eye after a man named Pierre 'Pig's Eye' Parrant who set up the first business there.

  • Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits.'

  • Los Angele's full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size: L.A.

  • Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country.

  • Brazil got its name from the nut, not the other way around.

  • Next to Warsaw, Chicago has the largest Polish population in the world.

  • Chances that a road is unpaved in the U.S.A : 1%, in Canada : 75%  
  • The term 'The Big Apple' was coined by touring jazz musicians of the 1930's who used the slang expression 'apple' for any town or city. Therefore, to play New York City is to play the big time - The Big Apple.
In other news, I'm headed out to Brookfield tonight to hear my brother play! Friends of his have a gig and he's opening. Family love.                

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails