08 November 2010

Hot Chocolate 5K

On Saturday, along with 30 thousand other people,  I ran in the Hot Chocolate 5K. It was a lovely 30 degrees outside that morning, but I ran and got my best 5K time yet. A year ago, I hadn't run more than a mile since high school. I gave running a very negative stigma, and equated it with teachers I didn't like who made me run around the track on a 90 degree day till I nearly passed out.  Then things changed. My friend (and running buddy pictured below) suggested we do a 5k in July, and the rest is history. Since then I've run three 5Ks, plus a race/scavenger hunt. I love it, but it gets better.

When I turned 20 I made a goal list titled "30 Things to Do Before I Turn 30." Thing #21: Run 5 miles without stopping. Again, if you asked me a year ago if I would be checking that number off my list, I would have laughed at you, but I totally checked it off. With a new pair of running shoes, a running buddy, a little thing called running club at work and enough determination I did it. Next year I've got an 8K and a 10K in my sight. Come next November, I'd like to do the 15K Hot Chocolate. What a different a year makes.
7:30 a.m. Saturday morning: Becky & I ready waiting to run the 5K

1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

Good for you girl!! I see you are still running :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails