25 January 2011

The Miseducation of the Doodle


I've doodled my way through life. It started back in elementary school, continued through college and has now made it's way to my workplace. I've always been a visual note taker. The doodles have often gotten me into trouble when people pass by and think I'm not paying attention. However, pictures have always been easier for me to remember, and as it turns out I am not alone. A List Apart has a fabulous article titled The Miseducation of the Doodle. I don't want to spoil the article for you, but as a teaser, doodles help you to:

  • increase our ability to focus (especially when handling dull or complex subject matter),
  • increase information retention and recall,
  • activate the “mind’s eye,” or the portions of the visual cortex that allow us to see mental imagery and manipulate concepts,
  • enhance access to the creative, problem-solving, and subconscious parts of the brain, while allowing the conscious mind to keep working, and
  • unify three major learning modalities: visual, auditory, and kinesthetic

Read the article here and do your best today to brainstorm and solve problems the best way- by drawing them out.

1 comment:

Merch Girl said...

Like. Fyi, I found some doodles from school that I don't understand.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails